星期一, 4月 30, 2007

Let Out

let...out

a. let...out 釋放;放行
When you allow animals or people to leave a place by giving permission or opening a door, you let them out.

The guard lets the prisoners out of their cells every day at 1:00.
(警衛每天一點的時候會放犯人出牢房。)

I opened the door and let the dog out.
(我打開門,放小狗出去。)

b. let...out (把衣物)放寬;放長;加大
When you make an item of clothing bigger by changing the seams, you let it out.

After I gained twenty pounds, I had to have all my pants let out.
(在我胖了二十磅之後,只得把所有的褲子都放寬。)

The tailor let her old dress out so that she could wear it again.
(裁縫師把她的舊洋裝加大,好讓她可以再穿。)

c. let...out (秘密等)洩漏;揭露
When you reveal secret or sensitive information, you let it out.

This information is secret. Don’t let it out.
(這個消息是秘密。不要洩漏了。)

I was furious when my secretary let out that I had interviewed for a new position.
(我的秘書把我面試新工作的事情說出去,我非常生氣。)

d. let out 宣洩情緒(嘆氣、吼叫等)
When you make a sound that shows your emotion or feelings, you let out that sound.

Heather knew Jim was lying again, and let out a sign.
(海瑟知道吉姆又在說謊,於是嘆了一口氣。)

The lion let out a loud roar before he attacked the hunter.
(那隻獅子在攻擊那個獵人之前大吼了一聲。)

沒有留言: